Men are liars. We’ll lie about lying if we have to. I’m an algebra liar. I figure two good lies make a positive.—Tim Allen
Gullible is what we are. We want so desperately to believe our leaders that we’ll believe them when they say something so enormously stupid such as, “Planned Parenthood only exists to perform abortions.” That’s nonsense and we know it, but apparently we’re not doing a good enough job calling them on it. We just let them lie.
Of course, we’re pretty good at that lying thing, too. The biggest lie we tell is, “I’m fine.” No, we’re not. We’re depressed, concerned, hurting like hell both physically and emotionally, tired of having to suck it up day in and day out to just keep things around us from falling apart, and we’re sick as fuck of all the lies. We’re done with people telling us they have a solution when they don’t even have a firm grasp of the problem. We’re upset. We’re pissed off. We’re worn out. This is the real reason so many people support marijuana legalization: we’re looking for an escape from all the bullshit.
That last line is probably a lie. I have absolutely no facts to back it up, but hey, it sounds good and fits my political opinion. If I repeat it enough times you’ll believe it, maybe.
- “When I left Washington, we had a $5 trillion surplus.” Uhm, wrong.
- You can get a free Tiffany diamond ring by commenting on a video on Facebook. You know better.
- Obamacare doesn’t require members of Congress “to abide by the same rules that all of the other Americans do.” Bullshit.
- A video depicts Muslim refugees in the Netherlands beating a teenaged girl because they don’t approve of her Western attire. Not even close.
- Mexico doesn’t have birthright citizenship, and Americans are the “only ones” to have it. So says the Oompaloompa candidate with the hair. He’s just ignorant.
- Muslim refugees are demanding that the city of Munich, Germany, ban Oktoberfest. Do you smell pants burning?
Lies are all around us and a big part of the reason there are so many of them is that we don’t stop sharing the damn things. We need to realize that we can’t trust cable news outlets (any of them). We can’t trust anything posted as a meme on social media. We can’t trust pretend news sources on the Internet. Everyone is lying to us.
Except the dog. Dogs don’t know how to lie.