The following images were processed for print use and as such contain details that are not easily appreciated when viewed on smaller mobile devices. We strongly recommend viewing these images on the largest screen available. Discreetly. They’re nudes. Use good judgment.
We’re making it official: we are in full experimental mode with this year’s photography. After talking with several models and getting feedback from professional sources, we are pleased that there is enough interest to continue working with abstract concepts and experimental process methods. Categorizing them as such makes it easier to group them together going forward.
Not that we are completely abandoning more traditional process methods, mind you. Even with the average, everyday type portrait, there is still plenty of space for testing different options in tonal range and color theory. As we get deeper into the year, there will be plenty of photographs that don’t ask the viewer to think deeply or ask complicated questions. This isn’t one of those sets, however. Put your thinking caps on now, please.
This week’s images were shot a little over a month ago with our new friend, Cynthia. I am very appreciative of her willingness to come in and try something new and different without having shot with us before. Most people like images they can share with their friends on social media and these don’t exactly fall into that category. While the images are sufficiently abstract, there are still recognizable body parts that frighten social censors.
As I was uploading this image set, it occurred to me that if I was not sure of the date on which they were taken, I might be tempted to think these photos were produced back in the 70s as the result of some experimental drug use. They seem to have a bit of that vibe to them. I can assure you the strongest drugs in use were black coffee and Metformin. I suppose one might make a case that the coffee could be mind-altering, but I’ve never had it make that much of a difference.
I made the decision before taking these photographs to not apply waveforms to the images. Instead, I wanted to experiment more with double exposures and the level of abstraction achievable in a high key process. What we found was a challenge I want to explore further. While higher key images increased the level of abstraction, there was also a tendency to lose critical points of definition. Even abstract images need lines that provide some sense of continuity and as we pushed toward the higher end those tended to disappear. As a result, we pulled back on a few, which introduced more shadow into the image.
Once again, I also processed standard black and white images for the same of comparison. However, I noticed this morning that I failed to save two of those images. I’m assuming that I had a reason for making that decision, but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was.
We also omitted images currently submitted to upcoming art shows. Since putting images on the Internet decreases their value in the eyes of some art collectors, we’ve elected to leave those images offline for now.
Cynthia is scheduled to shoot a second set in a couple of weeks and my mind is already making a mental list of things we want to adjust and different mechanisms we want to try. I like how these images processed but they have pushed my imagination to want to do even more.
As always, you’ll want to click on any of the thumbnails below for optimal viewing of the full set. Thank you for visiting and continuing to support our work.